le football et les sourires


Bonjour encore, mes amis! It has been a tiring, but productive, ten days. We had 21 group members from Princeton, New Jersey here to work and play soccer. We had four coaches from Princeton FC and one Princeton University coach. The first couple days we worked digging the foundation for the side wall at the language school (well, I watched as the others dug away.)

I got to know the coaches as we went running at 6:30 in the morning a couple times. The last group made me look fast…these guys made me look like a turtle! I was fine with that as it was still good to get some exercise. Three of the coaches were from Bulgaria, so I learned some things. For instance, I learned that I can be considered 100% Bulgarian, since my father’s father is Bulgarian. Apparently, if your father is Bulgarian, you are Bulgarian. So since my grandfather was Bulgarian, my father is Bulgarian, thus I am Bulgarian. They called me “Bulgarian girl” or “Andre” for some reason. Wesley and Dieph had a lot of fun learning some new phrases in Bulgarian.

On Saturday, the group put on a soccer clinic at Miracle Village for the kids, see picture below.

I just had to share the cutest baby donkey ever. We found him/her in Zabriko on our journey to pass out hygiene kits.

Princeton FC/Konekte put on a big soccer tournament, played in Miracle Village in Fonds-Parisien. There were four teams: Ganthier, Village Kanès, PlayItForward, and Miracle Village. After day one, Wednesday, Miracle Village and Kanès made it to the final on Thursday. After two goals for Kanès were called offsides, chaos ensued. Angry spectators stormed the field and it took about 45 minutes to resolve the situation. In the end, Miracle Village won the game in penalty kicks. It was a lot of fun to see the great turnout of people to watch the game and see such excitement and enthusiasm. I hope we can do something like that again.

Yesterday, the Princeton group headed back for New Jersey. We will have 6 Seattle Pacific University members staying at the house and continuing to work until Tuesday. Right now, they are at the school construction site in Ganthier digging. I stayed home to rest a little and do my laundry. It took me about 2 hours to hand wash all my clothes. It wasn’t too bad. Now that Wesley showed me how to do it correctly, no one is singing “Andrea pa konn lave” (Andrea doesn’t know how to wash) and I’m quite content with that. Stellecy (below) “helped” me wash. We spoke some French together and I spent a lot of time having to guess which hand she was hiding the marble in. That’s real entertainment.

That’s all for now, friends. Oh wait: I have an ear infection. After about a week of pressure and aching, I asked the doctor at the clinic about it when we went to take a group member. He looked in my ear and said, “Oh. That’s bad.” Thanks doc. But I have antibiotics and ear drops and I’m hoping it clears up soon. People have to sit on my right side to talk to me so I can hear them. Funny, but annoying. I thought only kids get those. Wrong.

Au revoir!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s