np: ou pa dwe tounen nan Ayiti=idiot


I’m in Jupiter, Florida. Arrived early Friday afternoon, had a burger and milkshake in the airport, and then my mom and I hopped on a train to come visit family friends here.

My week of R&R has turned into something a little different. I’m a little hesitant to post about the events of the last couple days, but I’m following my mother’s suggestion and informing the world.

Backstory: I was diagnosed with a herniated disc at L-5, S-1 approximately 5 years ago, and for a long time, it hasn’t given me much trouble. The last couple weeks I’ve been having some irritation, but nothing unmanageable. Saturday night, physical therapists: my mom and “Shashi” (family friend whose baby name has stuck for 20 years) had me on the floor instructing me on stabilization exercises. I even went and bought a floor mat and physio-ball to take back to Haiti with me, with motivation to do my exercises and try to nip this in the bud.

Then, Sunday morning struck. I got out of bed and hopped in the shower. As I was getting out of the shower, I sneezed about 10 times in a row and the last one did me in. I was struck with paralyzing pain, couldn’t control the screaming moans coming out of my mouth, and couldn’t even lower my right leg. With the help of the two pts, I was, somehow, laid down in bed, still in excruciating pain. After the two of them showered, we (again, somehow) got me in the car and headed to the emergency room. I couldn’t walk by myself and I couldn’t sit down, so I stood for about an hour and a half, moaning (either holding on to them or to the counter) before they could get me a bed. I had an IV placed and was rolled to get a CT. I was given some versed, steroids, and something else and it helped some, but not completely. The nurse practitioner came in and he was just a real jerk. He confirmed that there was a bulge/herniation at L-5, S-1. He first told me that I shouldn’t have been in Haiti in the first place, that I shouldn’t go back, and that I’m basically screwed for the rest of my life, and that I’ll need surgery at some point. It was very inappropriate and left me in tears. You probably can figure out that nothing is more important to me right now than getting back to Haiti…back home.

I was sent off with prescription steroids, another anti-inflammatory, a muscle relaxer, and pain medication. Pretty doped up, I’ve been laying around different couches, pillow between my knees, and limping around. I’m feeling a little better today with all the medication and am moving a little faster, but am still pretty drowsy.

Unfortunately, we won’t be able to go to Miami as planned. We’ll be staying here in Jupiter as I recuperate. I’m scheduled to fly back to Haiti on Thursday morning, but I currently can’t sit longer than 10 minutes and can’t lift anything heavier than an english muffin. I’m scheduled to see an orthopedist here on Wednesday and hear what he has to say and recommend.

I’m sure I will be fine and there isn’t too much to worry about. It’s all up to me from here on out on how I handle it and I know that what I do now will determine the outcome for the rest of my life, so I take it very seriously.

Nobody worry. I’ll be fine. Take care everyone.

One response »

  1. I am so glad this happened when mama bear was there to take care of you. Stay calm, my love, and carry on. Smoochy! Love from Mama Jean, Britta, and Gnarly Marlie on a Harley.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s